Never Mind the Brussels

A daily account of my five-week working trip in Europe.

Monday, June 21, 2004

Blue and Wonder

Sunday marked my third day in Brussels and I did basically nothing. I couldn't really face museums or the like, so I went for a walk around Parc Cinquinnitaire, which is right across the street from my apartment. It's pretty big, and separates where I am living and working from the heart of the European Union.

It's a nice park, with a monstrous arch that emulates Paris's Arc de Triomphe somewhat at one end, and a few museums as well. After that I went to do some shopping before I remembered the stores were closed Sundays, so I went to the office and wrote yesterday's blog entry, basically. Then I went home and spent the rest of the evening reading.

Even that limited activity, however, exposed me to one realization: Brussels, and perhaps all of Belgium, has crazy weather. It can literally go from blue sky and sunshine to dark clouds and rain in seconds -- I've already witnessed this on a handful of occasions. While this is a bit of a downer and does require you to carry an umbrella at pretty much all times, as near as I can tell so far, the rain is usually brief and mostly light, so it's not that bad. And the sun usually reappears pretty quickly, too.

No photos for today, regrettably. I would show you some pictures of the Parc, but I didn't have my camera with me on that trek.



1 Comments:

At 1:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When is it again that you are addressing NATO? -- TimA

 

Post a Comment

<< Home